Good Afternoon All,
Holy moly……..we made it through the first week of school. What a whirlwind. I am so appreciative to you all for making this first week as seamless as it could be. I know that there were some issues, but you did great navigating through them. We will continue to have issues due to the nature of how we are conducting business. I ask that you try to be patient. We will figure this out all out together.
I will be sending out weekly newsletters. Hopefully, this will keep you posted on the latest information from the MP Band. I will try not to flood your e-mail boxes, but I do ask that when info is sent out that you do please read the info. This will be an important method of communication, especially with us being in a remote learning situation.
NEWSLETTER FOR 22 – 29 AUG 2020
ASSIGNMENTS FOR 17 – 21 AUG: All assignments for students will be posted in Canvas. At this point, I don’t believe I have any students who are having a hard time logging in to Canvas, but if you are, please let me know ASAP. The assigned tasks this week were more “logistical” in nature to ensure students have the proper access to the online platforms they need to be successful in this learning environment and for me to gain the information I need from each student.
Students need to get in a habit of making sure items are turned in on time. Unlike the spring, all assigned tasks count. You will be held accountable for completion/non-completion of a task. If you have an issue completing a task, please contact me ASAP. Communication is key…….
We will begin playing this week, so students need to ensure their instruments are in working order. If you need a school owned instrument, see below…..
STUDENT FEES: All students in the band class have a $10 semester fee that the county charges to help offset the cost of materials used in band class. We also have a $25 per semester fee for those who utilize a school owned instrument. These fees can be paid through the K12 Payment Portal (https://www.k12paymentcenter.com/) or you can write a check to Cabarrus County Schools and deliver it to me for those fees (we can work out a plan to meet). These fees need to be paid by 4 September 2020.
SCHOOL OWNED INSTRUMENTS/MATERIALS: There are a few of you that need to get access to a school owned instrument. If you need a school owned instrument, I will be here on Monday, 24 August 2020 at 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. to get those instruments into your hands. If this does not work for you, send me an e-mail to work out a different time. Any student that uses a school owned instrument will have to pay the $25 per semester fee mentioned above.
- PERCUSSIONISTS – I will get with you once all of the materials I have ordered come in. Should be here soon, but will not be here by Monday. I apologize. I will establish a separate date for you.
REMIND APP: For those that are in the band classes, I will be pushing out information via the Remind App. This system will be used to send you quick text messages about important info for each one of my classes. Please sign up for the appropriate class:
PLACES TO GET INFORMATION: There are several places to get information concerning the band. The main places find things are in this order:
- Cut Time (www.cuttime.net) – This is an administrative management system we use in the band program for calendar management, communication, inventory control, etc. Veteran parents should have accounts. New parents will get set up with accounts soon. All students should have accounts at this point. If you do not remember your CutTime logins, please e-mail me to help you get that back up and running with that.
- MP Band Website (www.mpband.org) – Newsletters, calendars, etc. can be found here. This website is updated regularly.
- Mr. Lee’s Webpage (https://www.cabarrus.k12.nc.us/Domain/11356) – This website will be updated, but best bet would be to check the MP Band website first.
- Canvas Page – This will primarily be utilized for assignment management. All other items (newsletters, etc.), will be found in these other places.
MARCHING BAND/COLORGUARD INFORMATION: We are still in a holding pattern for the time period when it comes to trying to do any sort of rehearsals or activities. This does not mean you, the students, can’t get together to rehearse. This just means we (the staff and I) cannot hold any official rehearsals. I am hoping we can start these very soon (there is work being done right now to possibly get this started fairly soon). As stated before, the MP Band will thrive and evolve its offerings to serve our students and community. We will get creative in our offerings and explore new avenues.
With the start of school, I have had to put marching band related items to the side. As you can imagine, it has been extremely busy around here just to get school started. I am hoping that in the coming days we will begin to share much more detail to the adjustments made to the season and share exciting new opportunities for our students and our parents. These adjustments will include:
- When will we be able to hold official rehearsals?
- What will those rehearsals look like?
- Marching band fees (refunds, etc.) – I will be working with our band boosters to figure out the best way to make this happen for you.
- Performance opportunities (football games (during the new timeframe designated by the NCHSAA), winterguard, WGI winds / winter percussion (?), community performances, etc.)
- Continued student leadership training
TO CLOSE: I know things are super crazy right now. I find myself shouting at the wall quite a bit. I am super frustrated and I know you are, too. We will eventually see each other face to face and we will eventually get back to normal. When………I don’t know. It will happen, though. Patience is going to be a super important tool we hold in our tool bag.
If you have any issues, questions, etc., feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keith J. Lee
Director of Bands
Mount Pleasant High School
Office Phone: 704.260.6690 ext. 76707
Cell Phone: 704.224.4695
Address: 700 Walker Road, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124-9596