Good Morning All,
Hope you are doing well. Please read this in its entirety:
MERIT POINT SYSTEM: In year’s past, our various awards, such as varsity letters and the pink honors cord, have been given out based on amount of years you have participated in the band program. It has become apparent that some changes to this will have to be made. From here on out, students will be awarded varsity letters, service bars, and the pink honors cords based on a merit point system. Why the change?
- It has become apparent that we have to do more to make the awarding of these items more meaningful and fair.
- Allows for anyone in the band program to earn points toward these items. Does not discriminate against those who do not march in marching band, etc.
- Places more emphasis on going above and beyond and excellence rather than just participation.
I encourage you all to watch this video that will give more detail: https://www.loom.com/share/f6e46a85163244de9ab0da9e18bd5582
The video is 23 minutes long (I know……pretty long). Even though it is fairly long, I feel it is the best way to explain the form and to show how the merit point form is being used.
Attached is the merit point form. I need ALL band students to fill this out. Watch the video for explanation on how I need you to do this. If you do not do this, you will not be given any of these awards. Please e-mail back to me by 15 May 2020. Fill out the form based on the information I have given you in the video.Merit Point Form 2019-2020
- SENIORS: You are “grandfathered” into the system. Most of you may be close when it comes to having enough points to earn the pink cord, but most of you will not make it. If you have been a band participant through your Senior year, you will be awarded a pink cord this year.
- JUNIORS: You will also be “grandfathered” into the system. Most of you may be close when it comes to having enough points to earn the pink cord, but most of you will not make it. If you participate in band through your Senior year, you will be awarded a pink cord next year.
- SOPHOMORES: I will make an assessment of where you are at and make a determination.
- FRESHMEN: You are fully vested in the merit point program.
Any concerns about this can be communicated to me.
SUPERLATIVES: Students – please go to https://forms.gle/z6tmosK6NhqFWZXa9 to vote for superlatives. Deadline for this will be Friday, 15 May 2020.
AWARD OF EXCELLENCE: This award is for a deserving band parent/guardian that has gone above and beyond to help the program. If you have someone that you would like to nominate, please go to https://forms.gle/xFJ6P3nn3bzzmdg28 to submit their name and a brief reasoning for why you are nominating this individual. Deadline is 15 May 2020.
HOW WILL AN END OF THE YEAR AWARD CEREMONY GO: At this present moment of time, it is looking like we may have a hard time getting together to do a face to face ceremony. We will continue to look into ways we can make something happen. Please prepare yourself that a face to face gathering of this magnitude may not happen. If we are not able to gather at some point, then other plans will be made to celebrate you guys. May have to be a virtual setting, but we will make something happen.
P.S. – In regards to Senior banners, that will all be a part of my awards plan. I promise you will be getting these very soon.
Keith J. Lee
Director of Bands
Mount Pleasant High School
Office Phone: 704.260.6690 ext. 76707
Address: 700 Walker Road, Mount Pleasant, NC 28124-9596